12/30 Chanukah Shabbat at 7:30 pm: Bring your menorot and 9 candles so we can kindle the lights we need at this dark time of year. We sing, we celebrate, and we offer the sweet prayers and eat the sweet treats of our Festival of Light and joy.
Israel Scouts Friendship Caravan 2016
Saturday, June 11 at 7:30 pm
Temple Beth Shalom, Vero Beach, FL
This year we are thrilled to be hosting the Israel Scouts Friendship Caravan over the Shavuot holiday. Combining a full program of study, dining, music and dancing we will celebrate the receiving of the Torah at Mt. Sinai with our friends from Israel
Come for all of the program or join in when you can. Either way is a win-win!
Please share this invitation with friends.
The Scouts appreciate a full house!
This Saturday, June 11, is the date that the Israel Scouts Friendship Caravan 2016 will perform their delightful show featuring Israeli music and dancing. This year we have a special opportunity to spend Shavuot with the Scouts as well. Come for the whole event or show up when you can.
The schedule is as follows:
4:30pm Shavuot Study (in the Social Hall)
5:30pm Community Torah Reading of 10 Commandments (in the Social Hall)
6:00pm Baked Ziti Dinner catered by Adrienne Drew $8 RSVP only by June 6th
7:30pm Israel Scouts perform (in the Sanctuary) Tickets $10
Dessert reception to follow
Show tickets will also be available at the sanctuary door.
The Israel Scout Friendship Caravan is part of a large delegation of Israel Scouts who represent Israel in camps and communities across North America. They perform an energetic and patriotic song and dance variety show that displays goodwill and friendship between our countries. Singing in both Hebrew and English, the Scouts bring smiles to the faces of audiences of all ages, cultures and religions. Their joy and optimism is contagious. They will warm your hearts and bring a piece of Israel right to you. Please come and enjoy!
This event is made possible by Temple Beth Shalom through the generous participation of our members and individual sponsors.
Call 569-4700 to make reservations for the show show tickets only ($10).
Tickets to the show only will also be available at the door on the evening of the performance.
A Special Shabbat Invitation
On May 14th we have been invited to go to Beth El Israel in Port St. Lucie and join them for Shabbat Morning services featuring Cantor David Wisnia. Cantor Wisnia is a survivor of the notorious Auschwitz Annihilation Camp where he was incarcerated for close to 3 years, saving his life by singing to entertain the Nazi SS and cell block leaders. Wisnia was transferred to Dachau in December 1944, surviving the Death March, and managing to escape. He was soon found and rescued by the American 101 Airborne Division. Joining with the 506th Parachute Infantry, he engaged actively in combat during the closing days of the war with Germany in 1945, becoming both a survivor and a liberator.
David S. Wisnia continued singing in the United States serving many congregations over a long career. www.onevoicetwolives.com
Join us at 10:00am in Port St. Lucie or contact Rabbi Birnholz to join a carpool.
May 12th and May 19th at 7 pm we will study the novel The Brigade by Howard Blum. This story of the Jewish Brigade Group of the British Army of World War II, offers us the opportunity to reflect on Jewish power and responsibility, justice and vengeance, rescue and retribution. The men who served in this Brigade in Europe were a crucial part of the founding of the State of Israel so this study helps us connect our observance of Holocaust Memorial Day and Israel Independence Day.
There is now a Temple Beth Shalom team for the Vero Beach High School Relay for Life on April 29th starting at 6 pm.
The theme is fight songs. Given that it is last night of Passover we have chosen:
Dayenu: enough of cancer
We need you to help us to cross through the sea (C-ancer) to a place of hope!
There are lots of ways to help:
• Decorate our Banner – stop by Temple from Shabbat 4\15 until the Relay, to add a name to honor a caregiver or survivor; to remember one who life was taken by cancer or just to blot out “cancer” .
• Sign up to participate by being a walker on the track for our team or by helping to run our booth as we sell Passover goodies to raise money for the American Cancer society. American Cancer Society click “sign up.”
• Make a donation Make a donation and click “donate.”
• Make a donation for a luminaria in honor of someone who has died or a pinwheel for a caregiver. Click here for the Luminaria Form Click here for the Pinwheel form . There will also be hard copies in our office. You can come in, email or call Rabbi or Trudie.
• Come to Shabbat services at the Temple on April 29th to worship while other folks from our community represent us at Relay.
• Make Pesadich goodies! We don’t have an oneg Shabbat host for 4/29 and we also plan to “sell” Pesach treats (Chocolate covered matzah, matzah cannoli, matzah with awesome spreads, matzah cookies…) at the Relay as a way of raising money for the American Cancer Society. We have a copy of the Matzah 101 cookbook if you need ideas. If you can bake some Passover bake sale/oneg sweet treats or can offer a fun spread for matzah please email or call Rabbi ( firstname.lastname@example.org).
Rabbi Michael Birnholz
Temple Beth Shalom
Yom HaShoah Kinderblock 66: We join our friends from the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship at Emerson Center on Sunday May 1, at 4 pm to view the film Kinderblock 66, to meet with Shoah Survivor Alex Moskovic (who is featured in the film ) and do the acts of memory that help us fight this senseless hatred in our own day.
The Temple Beth Shalom Battalion of the Jewish Brigade wants you to join the assault on Spoil Island IR43 this coming Saturday to rescue this beautiful Indian River Lagoon island from the threat of invasive foreign species from Australia and Brazil (pines and peppers) and to create an outdoor sanctuary space for Temple events. All able bodied men, women, and children are requested to gather in the parking lot at Round Island Park on Saturday, April 2 at 7:3 am to mass for the amphibious landing. We are desperate for boats and other landing craft and of course for those of you who can walk on water.
A gourmet lunch from the Wood n Spoon will be provided for $8.
Please RSVP to email@example.com by 10am on Friday Morning, April 1 with your lunch selection and please bring the attached forms with you .
1. Mediterranean Chicken Wrap Served w/ Plum Tomatoes, Feta Cheese, Kalamata Olives, Red Onion, Arugula & Tzatziki Sauce in a Flour Tortilla
2. Turkey, Avocado & Walnut Pesto Served w/ Greens, Tomato on a Ciabatta Square
3. Roasted Turkey w/ Cranberry & Aioli Served w/ Greens on a Ciabatta Square
4. Wood n Spoon Tuna Salad Served w/ Greens & Tomatoes on a 7 Grain Bread
5. Hummus Wrap Served w/ Roasted Red Peppers, Cucumber, Golden Raisins, Red Onion, Mesclun Mix & Sesame Dressing in a Whole Wheat Tortilla
6. Bagel with spread
7. Peanut butter or Nutella with jelly or honey
Please fill out these forms:
Join Ginette Solomon, Dr. Daniel Kroger and Cantor Dannah Rubinstein
as they present the music of George & Ira Gershwin, Irving Berlin, and Cole Porter!
When: Thursday March 3rd @ 7 pm,
Where: Temple Beth Shalom
365 43rd Avenue